Monday, October 11, 2010

The Wall

The Wall by Eve Bunting, ill. by Ronald Himler
            Picture Book—Controversial Book
            Grades 1-4
            Rating: 4 Stars
            Summary: A boy and his father visit the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington D.C. They have come to find the name of the boy’s grandfather, who he never had a chance to meet.

            The Wall is an emotionally touching story as the boy and his father visit the Vietnam War Memorial. I felt compassion for the young boy because he never got to meet his grandfather. I know that death and loss is difficult to cope with, but I thought that Bunting addressed this issue in a particularly gentle way. The father and son stand at the wall just reflecting the life that once was. Having experienced loss in my life, I can relate to the father and know that feeling of longing just to see that person again. However, I think this experience was more difficult for the son because he never knew his grandfather and witnesses firsthand this relationship that he longs for as he watches another grandfather walk by with his grandchild. As other people come and go at the memorial, the story reminds us of how life is a treasure that is here today and gone tomorrow. However, as each person leaves behind a memory or artifact, this reminded me of the legacy that we leave behind for our family and friends that remain. The father is able to reflect on his father’s life and I think this message comes full circle in that although the grandson has never met his grandfather, he metaphorically comes to meet him for the first time at the memorial.
            In all honesty, I cannot really understand why this book would be controversial. The Vietnam War was a difficult time in our country’s history, but it’s a part of who we are as Americans and we cannot change that. I don’t see why we would want to change that. Therefore, I would not hesitate to use this book with my students. I think it is a great way to honor all those who have fallen for our country and how they valiantly laid down their lives. As the boy and his father reflect on the grandfather’s life, they are proud of him, and I would want my students to look back and feel the same way. Tunnell and Jacobs warn that teachers must be “willing to defend” their book choices in the classroom (p. 206). If a parent came to me with a concern about their child reading this book, I would try to explain that the Vietnam War is a part of our history and our children should know about the men that went and fought for our country, despite the controversy that surrounded this war at the time. Our focus needs to be on their sacrifice and not on the bitterness and opposition of the people during the war. 

No comments:

Post a Comment