Monday, October 11, 2010

The Higher Power of Lucky

            What I loved most about reading The Higher Power of Lucky is that there is a little bit of Lucky in all of us. At some point in our lives, we all search for something more and feel like we are all alone in our struggles. Susan Patron’s characterization of Lucky is so successful because of this fact—she is completely relatable. She just wants to know that after losing her mom and never really knowing her dad, she will have some security in her future. When this is challenged by her suspicion that Brigitte is going to go back to France, Lucky decides to take matters into her own hands and fend for herself. When I was younger, I remember feeling like my parents were never coming back when they would leave me and my brother with a babysitter. Lucky’s way of coping with her situation is a bit more dramatic that I was as a child, but either way, the need to feel wanted is important when we are young.
            At first, it seemed odd to me that Patron told the story in the third person. Lucky’s feelings seem so raw and vulnerable that it is easy to think that we must be seeing through her perspective, but that’s not true! I think what makes this choice effective is that we still are empowered to know everything that Lucky is feeling. Had there been any more distance between us as the reader and Lucky as the main character, a lot of meaning would have been lost. Peterson and Eeds (2007) say that authors writing in the third person can “choose to let us view everything that happens through the eyes/thoughts/feelings of a limited number of characters” (p. 51). This is the case in Lucky. We never have access to the thoughts of Brigitte and must rely on Lucky’s perception of her, which is why for most of the story we become entangled in the fear that Brigitte is going to leave Lucky. Through this aspect of her writing, Patron creates a mood for us as the reader that is easily influenced by Lucky’s perception.
            Mood plays an important role in Lucky. As I just mentioned, it is influenced by the fact that Lucky’s viewpoint is pervasive and Brigitte’s is not. I spent most of the story worrying right alongside Lucky that Brigitte is going to leave her. This worry helped me to connect on a deeper level with Lucky and I found myself wondering what I would do in the same situation. Lucky is a lot more bold than I am, and I don’t think that I would run away like she did. I did, however, feel a genuine concern for her, and this connection was created through my access to Lucky’s emotions. Mood also functions as an avenue for tension in literature (Peterson & Eeds, 2007, p. 55). Tension definitely increases when Lucky sees Brigitte’s passport and decides right then that she needs to take action. When she comes to the conclusion that she will run away, I became nervous and concerned that she was making a mistake.
            Overall, The Higher Power of Lucky is a story that is true to the emotions and struggles of its main character. As a reader, I enjoyed following Lucky’s journey and her growth as a result of it. As she goes through her struggles and eventually learns to cope with her fears, Lucky’s relationships evolve with other characters, including Miles, Lincoln, and eventually Brigitte. The fact that her character is dynamic and changing lends itself to the other elements of the story as well, creating a nice balance and enhancing the piece as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment