Sunday, September 12, 2010

No, David!

No, David!  by David Shannon
            Picture Book—Grades PreK and Up
            Rating: 5 Stars (out of 5)
            Summary: David seems to constantly find trouble and be reprimanded to stop being bad, but is finally consoled with a hug.

            No, David! is the author’s depiction of himself as a young boy. This story captivated me as a reader because I could definitely relate to the series of scolding that young David receives. In fact, I think everybody could remember themselves as having a little David in them growing up. When he is fooling around in the bathtub and splashing water everywhere, the illustration reminds me of myself as a child. I know that I was reprimanded for splashing my mother during bath time, but who can blame poor David when he has all of those awesome toys to play with? Sometimes as a child, it seemed like the only word I heard was “No,” and this is definitely what David is experiencing. My favorite thing about this book is that the words are so simple and repetitive, but the pictures supply so much depth. I spent quite a long time on each page just taking in the illustrations in sheer amazement at the story they provide which is absent from the text. As a reader, I got a sense of David’s disobedience from the words, but was really able to see his personality through the devilish grins. The illustrations also made me laugh along to see the joy on his face as he is causing trouble and having so much fun regardless of the scolding from his mom. At the end of the story, David finally seems affected and is given a hug by his mom, who says, “Yes, David…I love you!” This was a great reminder that at the end of the day, parents will love you no matter what.
            No, David! is an easy read and would be great for young kids because the repetitive nature would help them to learn and read it. However, I think this book would work with older students as well. Its message is simple but significant, and so I would use this story to talk about the message that is intended—that no matter what, our parents will always love us. As a teacher, I think it would be important to share a personal story of a time when I misbehaved to show students that we all make mistakes and can be forgiven. This message can then be applied to classroom behavior to remind students how much I care about them even if they do something wrong. Finally, this book could also be used with students to encourage them to pay attention to and pull out information from the illustrations. I think No, David! would be an excellent choice of literature to practice this strategy. So much of the action relies on the pictures and the text is simple enough that it would allow students to make independent discoveries of what they can learn from a book’s illustrations.

1 comment:

  1. Leah,

    I really liked reading your take on this book, and am definitely interested in reading it! As a devious child myself, I do agree that there is a bit of "reprimandable" behavior in each of us as children. Thus, like you mentioned, it is a story that all children can relate to. It sounds like it brings to light a universal theme in children. I think that it's very interesting that illustrations can completely make a book, bringing new life and even story to the written words. I have found that in my readings, this definitely rings true. I had never realized the crucial role of the illustrations until I began to take a deeper look and really pay attention to them, instead of just breezing by with a quick glance.

    Have you read anything else by this author? I'm wondering if his other books are similar. (I ordered one through scholastic and hope it's good! It was a bit of a chance I took, since I had never read any of the David books, nor had I even heard of them. Your post is making me much more confident in the decision to spend $4.)

    ReplyDelete