Sunday, September 26, 2010

I Completely Know About Guinea Pigs

I Completely Know About Guinea Pigs by Lauren Child
            Picture Book—PreK-2
            Rating: 4 Stars
            Summary: Lola gets to bring Bert, the class guinea pig, home during school vacation. She and Charlie have fun learning about Bert and making an obstacle course for him to run, but when Bert gets lost, they must find him before Lola goes back to school!

            I Completely Know About Guinea Pigs comes from the TV adaptation of Lauren Child’s book series. I haven’t read much of the Charlie and Lola series, but I can definitely see how these characters are popular among kids. Lola’s excitement is infectious as she wishes to take Bert home for the school vacation, and it’s comical to see how her brother Charlie doubts her preparedness to care for the animal. The dynamic between the brother and sister reminded me of my relationship with my older brother, who also acted like a know-it-all and challenged my ideas with his own questions and commentary. I really enjoyed learning about guinea pigs, and liked how the information is not presented in an in-your-face sort of way. As the reader, we instead explore the world of guinea pigs with Lola and her friends as they engage in a friendly rivalry to show off what they know about the pet. The art in this book is fun and energetic, which helps to bring out the excitement that Lola is experiencing with Bert. I really enjoyed Child’s use of collage. Most memorable were the VHS tapes, cardboard, and wooden blocks that make up Bert’s run track. Overall, the collage is distinctive and brings out a unique experience for us as the reader.
            Since the Charlie and Lola TV series is popular among kids, I think this book and others of Lauren Child would be valuable additions to a classroom library. The connection to the TV show would make this an attractive choice for students, especially with reluctant readers who may have seen the show. This story also has a nice touch of humor, which I know from experience is a nice feature that helps to pull students into a story. In addition, many elements lend themselves to students’ lives, such as the rivalry among classmates, the sibling dynamic, and caring for a pet. With so much for readers to connect to and laugh about, this book would be an ideal choice for a read-aloud as a nice break from the grind of everyday learning..

            

No comments:

Post a Comment